Below is a list of both flowers, vegetables and fruit trees that you can order in August, to sow or plant, and see results from in the coming months! Click on the green text to be redirect through to the Thompson & Morgan website.
In the Greenhouse / Indoors
• Winter-flowering panies can be sown now for colour in the cooler months.
• Sow Violas now to over-winter and provide fresh colour in the spring.
FRUIT & VEGETABLES
In the greenhouse / indoors
• If you have a greenhouse you can still make sowings of dwarf beans such as ‘Speedy‘ for an autumn crop.
Direct sow outdoors
• Keep sowing salad leaves outdoors for a continuous harvest.
• Swiss Chard can be sown in drills now for autumn ‘baby leaves’ or to over-winter for a spring crop.
• Sow land cress outdoors now to liven up your salads this autumn and winter.
• Corn Salad is a fully hardy crop which can be sown outdoors now for cropping throughout the autumn and winter.
• Now is an ideal time to direct sow Pak Choi as they are prone to bolting if grown before midsummer.
• There is still time to make direct sowings of fast-maturing carrots such as ‘Adelaide‘.
• Make a last sowing of endive outdoors for use as salad leaves.
• For something more unusual try growing kohl rabi in a well prepared bed – it will be ready in as little as 8 weeks after sowing.
• Make a final sowing of turnips in drills now.
• Direct sow Spinach ‘Perpetual‘ now for autumn and winter cropping.
• Sow raddichio outdoors now for use as an autumn salad leaf.
• Plant out summer/autumn cauliflowers early in the month for an autumn harvest.
• Finish planting out winter cabbages early in the month, allowing about 45cm between plants as they get quite big!
• Finish planting out kale for winter and spring cropping.