Time spent on allotment today: 2hr (Total: 3hr 00 minutes)
Money spent this week: Strimmer Hire £4.00 & Watering Can £4.99 (Total: £70.41)
It was a beautiful day today, warm with a light wind. This morning I had to speak with the site secretary regarding erecting a shed and polytunnel. On this site you need prior written permission before building work starts. So in order to speed up the process I requested a site visit to talk over the location of both buildings and luckily they requested they are build in exactly the place I wanted them to be. I now have to write a formal letter to the committee and they will discuss it at their next meeting in October.
I hired the strimmer today, a much more powerful one that before. Spend around 40 minutes strimming the unwanted grass and weeds as close to the ground as possible. Then it was a case of getting on my hands and knees and turning the soil over and removing as many weeds as possible.
It was relaxing to have the ipad playing music and just sinking my hands into the soil. In no time I had completed the first few feet.
These are the roots of couch grass (Elymus repens). Even a little bit will quickly regrow.
The plot will have a path down the middle. The plan at the moment is to work down the left hand side then move onto to the right. That way I should be able to clear enough ground to get some crops in this autumn.
Feeling very sweaty and in need of food and drink I packed my tools away and headed home. Exhausted but rewarded by the work completed.
Time spent on allotment: 30 minutes (Total: 1hr 00 minutes)
Money spent: £0.00 (Total: £61.41)
Only managed 30 minutes this evening so did some weeding at the top end of the plot. Am hoping to get an hour in on my next visit but other priorities come first at the moment.
Time spent on allotment: 30 minutes (Total: 30 minutes)
Money spent: Strimmer Hire £3 (Total: £61.41)
My first day of working on the new allotment plot. For the next few weeks there will be a common theme: weeding.
First task is to walk around the allotment and remove any large items such as old buckets and pieces of metal. Most of the weeds have seed heads and rather than annoy my neighbours when these heads start flying around the site I strimmed them off.
The strimmer cost £3 for half-an-hour. It wasn’t a very good strimmer and it couldn’t cut back as much of the growth as I wanted so I just concentrated on the seed heads.
I arrived to meet the secretary at 11am on a Sunday morning. There were two plots available to let. The first one was in the middle of the site and looked like it hadn’t been tended to for many years. There were large clumps of grass everywhere but what put me off this one was its location, in the middle of the site. I thought it would be far to easy for the shed to be broken into, away from nearby eyes.
The second plot, and the one I decided to take, was located closer to the main gate so having anything delivered to my plot would be easier and there was also a huge bonus. Within 6ft of my plot was a water pipe so no long walks to water the plot on those hot summer evenings.
The yearly rent is £58.42.